"We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" is the sixteenth episode of the tenth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 212nd produced episode of the series. It is also the 323rd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 20, 2014.
Bailey presents Richard with a once in a lifetime surgery as a birthday present when a patient who absorbed their twin in utero arrives in the E.R, but Richard struggles to enjoy his big surgery, and his big day, when he begins to suspect Owen and the board are pressuring him into considering retirement. Meanwhile, Cristina and Shane begin looking for candidates for the conduit trial but Shane finds himself conflicted with a pregnant girl who doesn't qualify for the trial begins to plea for his help while Cristina puts her effort into finding a woman for Owen. Callie and Derek find themselves in a legal battle over the intellectual property of their trial's sensors now that Derek is working for the White House while, desperate for her own trial to succeed, Meredith hires a research assistant but struggles with letting someone else handle her project, and her mother's legacy. Elsewhere, Catherine returns to Seattle to push April to sign a post-nuptial agreement and her anger forces Jackson and April to realize they haven't seriously considered their future.
- "There's a stage you go through during childhood, and it's the toughest part. It's called the transition stage. You've been pushing so hard and so long, you're exhausted, spent, and there's nothing to show for all your effort. During this transition stage it feels like you can't go on but it's only because you're very nearly there."
- "Transition is movement from one part of a life to a whole new one and it can feel like one long, scary, dark tunnel. But you have to come out of the other side because what's been waiting there might be glorious."
- "I'm So Excited" - Le Tigre
- "How Will I Know" - Sam Smith
- "Something About You" - Correatown
- "Kiss On My List" - The Family Crest
This episode's title originated from the song We Gotta Get Out Of This Place, originally sung by The Animals.