"Wish You Were Here" is the eleventh episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 89th produced episode of the series. It is also the 108th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on January 8, 2009.
The arrival of a death row inmate illicits anger in Derek and further erodes Meredith and Cristina's already tense friendship while, after the unexpected death of the hospital's pediatric attending, Bailey clashes with his replacement Arizona Robbins over the course of treatment of a patient near and dear to her heart. Izzie tells Alex about her visions of Denny and Mark and Callie work as a team to fight their respective attractions to Sadie and Lexie.
- "We all get atleast one good wish a year over the candles on our birthday. Some of us throw in more; on eyelashes, fountains, lucky stars. And every now and again one of those wishes comes true. So what then? Is it as good as it hoped? Do we bask in the warm glow of our happiness or do we just realize we've got a long list of other wishes waiting to be wished?"
- "We don't wish for the easy stuff, we wish for big things. Things that are ambitious, out of reach. We wish because we need help and we're scared. And we know we may be asking too much. We still wish though because sometimes they come true."
- "Am I Still The One?" - Daniel Powter
- "You Don't Know Me" - Ben Folds
- "Ah Ah Ah" - The Coral Sea
- "The Day Before The Day" - Dido
- "Lights Out" - Santogold
- "Home" - Tandy
This episodes' title references the song Wish You Were Here, originally sung by Pink Floyd