"Wishin' And Hopin'" is the fourteenth episode of the third season of Grey's Anatomy and the 50th produced episode of the series. It is also the 50th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on February 1, 2007.
Meredith and Richard both struggle when Ellis becomes lucid and Meredith is challenged by meeting her mother's high expectations while Richard deals with the life he and Ellis could have led. A nervous Izzie and Bailey open the clinic while the attendings all try and vie for the Cheif's position. Callie and George return from Vegas with suprising news while Cristina debates whether she can have a professional and a personal life after Burke's proposal. A patient's condition endangers the lives of the hospital staff.
- "As surgerons we live in a world of worst case scenarios. We cut ourselves off from hoping for the best because, too many times, the best doesn't happen. But every now and again something extra-ordinary happens. And suddenly best case scenarios seem possible. And ever now and then, something amazing happens and against our better judgement we start to have hope."
- "As doctors we're trained to give our patients just the facts. But what our patients really want to know is will the pain ever go away? Will I feel better? Am I cured? What our patients really want to know is, is there hope? But, inevitably, there are times when you find yourself in the worst case scenario. When the patients body has betrayed them and all the science we have to offer has failed them, when the worst case scenario comes true clinging to hope is all we have left."
- "Runaway" - Sybarite (feat. Psapp)
- "Elevator Music" - Beck
- "Barracuda" - Miho Hatori
- "Canal Song" - Iain Archer
- "Believer" - Susanna & The Magical Orchestra
- "Fireworks" - The Whitest Boy Alive
This episodes' title references the song Wishin' And Hopin', originally sung by Dusty Springfield